Monday, August 10, 2009

Mr. Romance

Tim and I celebrated our 12th wedding anniversary on August 1st. It was a very memorable night. We got dressed up and went out sans kids which is always a treat. Tim had been shopping earlier in the day and carried a parcel on our way out. He wanted to wait to give it to me when the timing was just right. I am skilled in the art of sussing out what contents a package holds and ascertained that it was most definitely a book. But what book? I imagined a book of famous love poems or a book filled with the world's most romantic locations (I love travel books with beautiful pictures).

We pulled up to our favourite restaurant and Tim turned to me and said, "I think its time." He handed me my gift, I was giddy with excitement. I carefully opened the parcel and looked down to discover that yes it was a book...but not exactly the book I was expecting:

I was surprised to say the least. At this point many wives may have: a]exploded in a volcanic rage or b] fallen into a sullen stupor speaking only in grunts and sighs for the rest of the evening.

I did neither. Yes I was surprised, maybe even a little disappointed, but I know Tim well enough after 12 years to know that his heart was well-intentioned. That he truly thought this book would be something I would love.

I did have to laugh (and tried not to take it personal) when I read the subtitle: "Anyone Can Learn to Cook in 24 Hours" and also when I flipped through the book to find it peppered with real-life stories of no-hopers in the kitchen who had used this book and turned their lives around.

It turns out the book is fantastic! Filled with delicious and easy recipes. We have already tried 6 recipes from its pages this past week. . .actually 5 (one was so good we made it twice). Tim and I have both been cooking up a storm and it has been so much fun.

Throughout the week we have purchased new kitchen utensils and filled our pantry with new ingredients. We have even been inspired to start a herb garden (it gets expensive buying fresh herbs all the time). We have enjoyed spending time together curled up on the couch flipping through the pages deciding what we will try next.

If anyone is looking for romantic gift ideas talk to Tim he will definitely steer you in the right direction.

3 comments:

Mum said...

Couldn't stop laughing at this one!
Dad's first Christmas gift to me was Margaret Fulton's Cook book with his own inscription inside the front cover, "To my Darling, Wishing you many happy days in the kitchen." Enough said, but it became my cooking Bible over years.
You have inspired me to look out for Jamie Oliver's book.

Steven said...

Nice one Jill. Although I have loved your refried bean salad... :)

I've recently come to appreciate the fun of cooking too after the first couple of years with fish fingers and potato smiley faces. It's actually kind of fun once you get the good gear and whatnots

Bekah said...

ok, both Jesse and I are busting up! YOu guys are awesome, and how come I finally found your blog?