Monday, February 16, 2009

Look Who's Growing Up

When Kawehi turned 8, I told her that she was allowed to have her ears pierced. She has thought about it over the last couple of years but couldn't ever build up enough courage. On Saturday (3 days short of her 10th b-day) she informed me that she was ready to go through with it.
On our way to the market, I remembered that there was a silver jewellery shop next door that also pierced ears (and other bits and pieces I found out later). We arrived and there was a nice girl at the desk who explained that "the piercer" had just ducked out but would be back in a few minutes. While we waited, Kawehi chose her earrings and I filled out the necessary forms. As we finished up the formalities, in walks "the piercer" and I immediately thought to myself WHAT HAVE I DONE???? His face was covered with silver studs (yes his face) and his earlobes hung to his shoulders (think African tribesman). I looked over at Kawehi and Ollie and they looked scared. . .
I wasn't sure what to do, but before I could think, he introduced himself and actually seemed quite nice. He turned out to be very professional, measuring and re-measuring Kawehi's earlobes making sure everything was symmetrical, I was impressed. He was quick and precise with the ear piercing "gun" and before we knew it the painful part was over and a mirror was placed in front of her face so that she could admire her new blue/green earrings.

No comments: